Pronunciation Tips for the Workplace ESL Learner
Many ESL (English as a Second Language) students in Calgary often request courses or training programs that relate specifically to pronunciation. It is critical to distinguish between the various forms of English Pronunciation- British, American, and Canadian Standard. An excellent reference point is the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) for Canadian English. Wikipedia has an important page that outlines the phonetic differences:
Some rudimentary tips for ESL Calgary students who are seeking Pronunciation courses or on-site training programs include:
1. Slow down your overall rate of speech.
2. Incorporate the use of Thought Groups. See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd24_1n-8PM
3. Understand and apply the rules of word stress & intonation. See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65AgbiwQ6ko
4. Speak louder to improve your tone of voice to be 7/10.
5. Reduce non-stressed vowels to ‘schwa’.
6. Mimic a Canadian speaker or actor’s voice. Find a Canadian co-worker who can correct you.
By following these simple strategies, you can greatly increase your ability to be heard at your corporation and articulate sounds more accurately.
Thanks for reading!
Vinay Thanawala, President